So... where is Croatia anyway?

So... where is Croatia anyway?
Map of Eastern Europe

Me and Anne Frank

Me and Anne Frank
Day 1: Amsterdam

Sunday, June 3, 2007

I left my heart in Sarajevo

I know usually there is another place to leave your heart, but I am officially in love with Sarajevo!

The people here are so open and warm. Friends greet each other with kisses on both cheeks, and people of every generation stroll the streets holding hands or linking arms. There is a pulse of life here that is undeniable and even the most sceptical can feel something special here.

People here are so alive... so present in the moment, so connnected with each other.

At first I thought, perhaps this is because of the war and the atrocities they endured. It makes sense... right? When you live through something like that, you become bonded together because of the necessity to do so or perish.

But this is not it at all.

Sarajevans were like this before the war, and I believe this is why and how they were able to survie the longest siege of a city in modern history. Because they value life, each other, and this place they call home.

I am already plotting my return.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Allison,
I am so enjoying reading your blog. I have learned so much about the area that you are traveling in and I can feel your enthusiasm for your work through your writing. Stay safe and keep on blogging, Love, Auntie